HP3000-L Archives

May 2006, Week 4

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 10:23:30 -0400
Brice is rarely up-to-date. Thats his major problem.

How about this one?
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/23/dobbs.may24/index.html
Dobbs: Bush, Congress tell working folk to go to hell
By Lou Dobbs    CNN
Wednesday, May 24, 2006; Posted: 9:46 a.m. EDT (13:46 GMT)

Lou Dobbs says President Bush and Congress are part of an "elitist war on
the middle class"  NEW YORK (CNN) -- President Bush says that the
installation of the new Iraqi government was a "watershed event," but at
the same time warns Americans of the challenges and loss as we continue to
prosecute the war against Iraqi insurgents. Sen. Harry Reid declares that
legislation that would render English the national language is racist.

Thirty-seven Democrats vote for full amnesty for all illegal aliens in this
country, even though nobody really knows whether the number is 11 million,
12 million or 20 million. The Senate Republican leadership demands that
a "comprehensive immigration reform" plan must be passed before this
Memorial Day weekend. And the president signs into law a tax cut that
raises taxes on the educational funds of teenagers saving for college.

Never before in our country's history have both the president and Congress
been so out of touch with most Americans. Never before have so few of our
elected officials and corporate leaders been less willing to commit to the
national interest. And never before has our nation's largest constituent
group -- some 200 million middle-class Americans -- been without
representation in our nation's capital.

George W. Bush's approval ratings have slumped to the lowest of his
presidency. The approval rating for Congress is even lower, and nearly
three-quarters of Americans believe the country is headed in the wrong
direction.

But what is our government doing about that? The president is staying the
course in Iraq and apparently demanding little of his generals to create a
new, far more effective strategy for urgent success. Of course, he also
wants a guest-worker program and amnesty of millions of illegal aliens. And
Congress, faced with midterm elections in just over five months, is intent
on giving the president what he wants and telling working men and women and
their families, American citizens all, to go to hell.

Illegal aliens are more important to this Congress than securing our
borders and our ports, more important than those legal immigrants who have
waited in line and who follow the law. The Senate has added to the litany
of lunacy that makes up what it calls reform: Illegal aliens would only
have to pay back taxes on three of the past five years, they will not be
prosecuted for felonies such as identity theft or purchasing or using
fraudulent Social Security cards, and unlike millions of visa holders who
have to leave the country to have them renewed, they may simply remain in
the United States while this Congress and this president give away all the
benefits and privileges of American citizenship.

This is an outright assault in the elitist war on the middle class. And
working men and women who've already borne the pain of losing good-paying
manufacturing jobs and having middle-class jobs outsourced to cheap foreign
labor markets are faced with the onslaught of more illegal immigration and
cheap labor into the American economy. This president and Congress talk
about bringing illegal aliens out of the shadows while they turn out the
lights on our middle class.

President Bush and his most trusted advisers tell us how well our economy
is doing, how many jobs have been created and how so-called free trade will
enrich the lives of the same people whose livelihoods these policies are
destroying.

It's hard not to think of the trusted adviser to Catherine the Great who
sought to hide from her the embarrassing and shoddy condition of Ukrainian
and Crimean villages by having elaborate facades built to divert her
attention and to mask an uncomfortable reality. I don't know whether Karl
Rove is President Bush's Grigori Potemkin or whether George Bush has
created Potemkin villages all by himself. But the facades are cracking, and
phony fronts of failed policies are quickly crumbling.

Six thousand unarmed National Guardsmen working as adjunct rear support to
our undermanned, under-equipped Border Patrol is not border security. Three
million illegal aliens continue to cross our borders and depress wages by
hundreds of billions of dollars every year. The millions of manufacturing
and middle-class jobs lost over the last five years have been replaced by
lower-wage employment.

The president's faith-based commitment to so-called free trade will likely
lead to a $1 trillion U.S. current account deficit this year and a trade
debt of $4.5 trillion after 30 years of trade deficits. And while the
president and Congress point to No Child Left Behind as a solution to our
educational crisis, we're failing an entire generation of Americans whose
test scores continue to fall and whose high school dropout rates would be
embarrassing to a third-world country.

And a third-world country is what we will be if our elected officials don't
soon come to their senses.

On Wed, 24 May 2006 14:26:38 +0100, Heasman, David
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>How extraordinary; this article is nearly 2 years old, but has had
>hardly any traction
>even among those paid to proclaim its message.
>
>Meanwhile, back on my planet, Earth : -
>http://crookedtimber.org/2006/05/24/the-last-of-the-sceptics/

to you in error please do not forward it or copy it or act upon its
contents, but report it to [log in to unmask]

>Schroders has the right lawfully to record, monitor and inspect messages
between its employees and any third party. Your messages shall be subject
to such lawful supervision as Schroders deems to be necessary in order to
protect its information, its interests and its reputation.

>Schroders prohibits and takes steps to prevent its information systems
from being used to view, store or forward offensive or discriminatory
material. If this message contains such material please report it to

>Schroders does not normally accept or offer business instructions via
email unless prior agreements are in place. Any action that you might take
upon this message might be at your own risk.

>Schroder Investment Management Limited
>31 Gresham Street
>London EC2V 7QA
>
>Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Schroder
Investment Management Limited is entered on the FSA register under the
following register number: 119348