HP3000-L Archives

May 2006, Week 2

From:
"Simpkins, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpkins, Terry
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 18:52:43 -0400
Just a note to let all of you know that I completed the coast-to-coast
motorcycle ride this past weekend.

I left Wrightsville Beach, NC at 1:00 am Saturdaay morning and rode to
San Diego, CA, arriving at 10:00pm Sunday (pacific time)
A distance of 2593 miles in 47 hours and 52 minutes total time (start to
finish).

I stopped in Abilene, Texas for about 7 hours to get some sleep (those
hours are included in the 47).

I know you are reaching for a calculator, so let me save you the
trouble:

2593 miles / 47.86 hours = 54.18 mph for the total ride, but includes at
least 7 hours when I was stopped.
2593 miles / 40.86 hours riding = 63.46 mph      oh yeah, I stopped for
gas a total of 16 times along the way.  let's assume 20 minutes each
time
2593 miles / 35.53 [40.86 - ((16*20)/60)] = 72.98 MPH when moving

Now before you get all worried about me breaking the speed limit,
remember that over 95% of the distance was on interstate highways, and
over half of that
was in west Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.  If you've ever been through
that part of the country, you know 75 seems like 45  in the rest of the
country.

If any of you have not made a donation, it's NOT TOO LATE ;-)

The easiest way to support the American Cancer Society (and get your tax
deduction receipt) is to use a credit card on
this web site.

www.acsevents.org/bikeride

Those of you who have already contributed, THANK YOU very much.
We all have family and friends you have succumbed to this dreaded
disease.
Only continued research will result in a cure.

Thanks again for all your support.

At last count I have raised about $7500 toward my goal of $10,000

Terry W. Simpkins
Director ISIT
Measurement Specialties
757-766-4278