HP3000-L Archives

May 2006, Week 2

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 09:16:07 -0400
"Shawn Gordon" wrote:
> (you'd think that would bother the Mexican government more than the fact
> that we want to stop them coming illegally).  They should be in Mexico
> city demonstrating in the millions, not here.

What I've heard, for all that's worth, is that illegal aliens tend to send
money home. This is somehow better for the Mexican economy than free trade,
presumably because it goes to buy necessities and is therefore not
meaningfully inflationary. If that's true, I can see how this part of the
problem remains unsolved.

The chattering class has suggested making it easier to get temporary
worker's visas to sustain the influx of cheap manual labor, so long as there
was appropriate oversight and tracking, and built-in bus fair home for those
for whom it is time to go home. It would be an interesting idea, if it did
not depend on a government bureaucracy to do something accurately and
inexpensively.

Things certainly have changed since my mother immigrated in the early
fifties.

Greg Stigers