HP3000-L Archives

April 2006, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:33:25 EDT
Timothy writes:

> PS: I ended up starting my own business(es) instead. Now I have the joy of
> working 12 hours a day, seven days a week, without benefits, for a boss who
> does not pay me most of the time (myself).

It's said that when you own your business, you only have to work half days,
and it doesn't really matter much which 12-hour stretch you put in each day.

But seriously folks, starting your own business and working "half-days" may
be your only option. The world is changing, not only for MPE professionals, but
for all engineering-related tasks. Secure jobs in well-lit cubicles are
diminishing in number (but obviously not altogether disappearing) and you may as
well prepare for it.

Don't let anyone tell you differently: there really is age discrimination in
anything technology related, not because you're merely getting old, but
because (i) you cost more relative to your worth than someone younger, and because
(ii) a kid half your age won't really mind being laid off. When an employer
hires someone, they not only take on a financial burden but a psychological one
as well. No one wants to fire anyone, ever. They know the pain that it causes.

The only cure may well be to start your own business. To do that, find
something that you really enjoy doing, something that you're good at, but most
importantly something that someone else wants done and would be willing to pay you
an honest wage for doing -- and it doesn't have to be computer-related
initially, although it almost certainly will be given a bit of time.

But don't let anyone tell you that starting your own business will be easy.
Most new businesses fail, not because of a lack of anything so estoteric as a
lack of a business plan or even enough initial capitalization, but because they
simply weren't providing a product or service that someone wanted to buy.
Listen very carefully to what your first customers tell you. Satisfying their
needs, honestly and with integrity, must become your only goal in life.

I write this with all authority, sounding as if I knew what I was talking
about, but let me also honestly say, after being in business for 30 years now,
each new day remains a mystery to me. Conrad Hilton, another New Mexican, once
said that after 50 years in the hotel business, the only thing that he knew for
sure about the hotel business was that "you spill a lot less water on the
bathroom floor when you put the shower curtain inside the tub rather than leave
it out." I feel exactly the same way. I really don't know what the next day
will bring. There's absolutely no security in any of this, but it's also part of
the joy of the process.

Wirt Atmar