HP3000-L Archives

March 2006, Week 4

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:58:10 -0500
Death could await Christian convert
U.S. lawmaker: Christian-conversion prosecution 'outrageous'

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 Posted: 0603 GMT (1403 HKT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In the days of the Taliban, those promoting
Christianity in Afghanistan could be arrested and those converting from
Islam could be tortured and publicly executed.

That was supposed to change after U.S.-led forces ousted the oppressive,
fundamentalist regime, but the case of 41-year-old Abdul Rahman has many
Western nations wondering if Afghanistan is regressing.

Rahman, a father of two, was arrested last week and is now awaiting trial
for rejecting Islam. He told local police, whom he approached on an
unrelated matter, that he had converted to Christianity. Reports say he was
carrying a Bible at the time.

"They want to sentence me to death, and I accept it," Rahman told reporters
last week, "but I am not a deserter and not an infidel."

The Afghan constitution, which is based on Sharia, or Islamic law, says
that apostates can receive the death penalty.

Afghanistan's population is 80 percent Sunni Muslim and 19 percent Shiite
Muslim, according to the CIA. The other 1 percent of the population is
classified as "other."

U.S.: Freedom to worship part of democracy
Rahman's case raises thorny issues between Afghanistan and its Western
allies, and U.S. officials this week made certain that Afghan Foreign
Minister Abdullah Abdullah, who is in Washington for talks on the U.S.-
Afghan strategic partnership, understood their qualms.

"We have underscored also to Foreign Minister Abdullah that we believe that
tolerance and freedom of worship are important elements of any democracy,"
U.S. State Department spokesman Scott McCormack told reporters Tuesday. "We
urge the Afghan government to conduct any legal proceedings in a
transparent and fair manner."

Abdullah was supposed to talk to reporters Tuesday about talks for the
strategic partnership. Instead, Abdullah was bombarded with questions about
the Rahman case.

"I know that it is a very sensitive issue and we know the concerns of the
American people," Abdullah said, adding that the Afghan Embassy in
Washington had received "hundreds of messages" on the issue.

He further said that the Afghan government had nothing to do with the case.

"But I hope that through our constitutional process, there will be a
satisfactory result," he said.

Rahman's case illustrates a split over the interpretation of the Afghan
constitution, which calls for religious freedom while stating that Muslims
who reject Islam can be executed.

Nicholas Burns, undersecretary for political affairs, said he understands
the complexities of the case and promised the United States would respect
Afghan sovereignty. However, he said, Afghans should be free to choose
their own religion, and he believes the nation's constitution supports that.

"We hope the Afghan constitution is going to be upheld," Burns said. "If he
has the right of freedom of religion, that ought to be respected."

Rahman's case could force Afghan President Hamid Karzai into the
undesirable position of mediating the matter. Karzai has to placate an ever-
restless populace in turbulent post-war Afghanistan, but at the same time,
he needs Western assistance to stave off the remnants of the Taliban and al
Qaeda.

Allies indignant
The U.S. has 23,000 troops in the country; Germany has 2,700. Canada has
2,300 stationed there, and Italy has 1,775, according to Reuters.

All four nations have expressed displeasure over the situation, some even
saying that it is intolerable that soldiers of all faiths die to protect a
country threatening to kill its own for converting to Christianity.

Former Italian President Francesco Cossiga wrote a letter to Prime Minister
Silvio Berlusconi, urging him to withdraw Italian troops from Afghanistan
unless Kabul guarantees Rahman's safety, Reuters reported.

"It is not acceptable that our soldiers should put themselves at risk or
even sacrifice their lives for a fundamentalist, illiberal regime," Cossiga
wrote.

Rep. Tom Lantos, the ranking Democrat on the House International Relations
Committee, wrote a letter to Karzai asking him to intervene and
uphold "core democratic principles and fundamental human rights."

"In a country where soldiers from all faiths, including Christianity, are
dying in defense of your government, I find it outrageous that Mr. Rahman
is being prosecuted and facing the death penalty for converting to
Christianity," Lantos wrote.

One German official promised to intervene if necessary. Another,
Development Minister Heide Wieczorek-Zeul, said, "We will do everything
possible to save the life of Abdul Rahman," according to Reuters.

Canada echoed that sentiment, saying human rights in Afghanistan was a top
priority and that "Canada will continue to encourage the Afghan government
to adhere to its human rights obligations," foreign ministry spokeswoman
Pamela Greenwell told Reuters.

CNN's Elise Labott contributed to this report.