HP3000-L Archives

March 2006, Week 3

From:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:59:34 -0800
I have a small test script that runs MPEX and it is sent me into an
infinite frustrating loop.  I am not seeing something and I need another
pair of eyes to look at this.

I have an echo statement that sometimes echoes the variable and in the
second test it doesn't. I have turned on the "list" option.

Here's the script:

	parm helpme = "", _menuname = ""
	option list nohelp
	setjcw insidempex = 0
	if insidempex <> 0
	 showvar _@
	 if "!_menuname" = ""
	  prompt string _menu_name =" Enter the name of the menu name to
review :"
	  setvar _menuname ups('!_menu_name')
	 else
	  setvar _menuname ups('!_menuname')
	 endif

	 echo Gathering information on !_menuname ... please wait or
press ctrl-y to exit

	ELSE
	 xeq mpex.pub.vesoft;parm=1;info="!hpfile !helpme,!_menuname"
	 showvar _@
	ENDIF

If I issue the following command:   TEST ,Mytestvar01

The following information is displayed:

	TEST ,Mytestvar01
	setjcw insidempex = 0
	if insidempex <> 0
	*** EXPRESSION FALSE: COMMANDS IGNORED UNTIL MATCHING
ELSEIF/ELSE/ENDIF
	 showvar _@
	 if "!_menuname" = ""
	  prompt string _menu_name =" Enter the name of the menu name to
review :"
	  setvar _menuname ups('!_menu_name')
	 else
	  setvar _menuname ups('!_menuname')
	 endif
	 echo Gathering information on !_menuname ... please wait or
press ctrl-y to exi
	ELSE
	*** RESUME EXECUTION OF COMMANDS
	 xeq mpex.pub.vesoft;parm=1;info="TEST.TSLARBAR.SGAII
,Mytestvar01"

	setjcw insidempex = 0
	if insidempex <> 0
	*** EXPRESSION TRUE
	 showvar _@
	_MENUNAME = MYTESTVAR01
	 if "Mytestvar01" = ""
	*** EXPRESSION FALSE: COMMANDS IGNORED UNTIL MATCHING
ELSEIF/ELSE/ENDIF
	  prompt string _menu_name =" Enter the name of the menu name to
review :"
	  setvar _menuname ups('!_menu_name')
	 else
	*** RESUME EXECUTION OF COMMANDS
	  setvar _menuname ups('Mytestvar01')
	 endif

	 echo Gathering information on Mytestvar01 ... please wait or
press ctrl-y to ex
	it
	Gathering information on Mytestvar01 ... please wait or press
ctrl-y to exit

	ELSE
	*** COMMANDS IGNORED UNTIL MATCHING ENDIF
	 xeq mpex.pub.vesoft;parm=1;info="!hpfile !helpme,!_menuname"
	 showvar _@
	ENDIF
	*** RESUME EXECUTION OF COMMANDS
	 showvar _@
	_MENUNAME = MYTESTVAR01
	ENDIF

The "!_menuname" variable is displayed but it isn't changed to UPPERCASE
letters?

If I just type TEST and let it prompt me for a name I get the following:
(the variable isn't displayed)

	test
[...]

	 Enter the name of the menu name to review :? MyTestVAR01
	  setvar _menuname ups('MyTestVAR01')
	 else
	*** COMMANDS IGNORED UNTIL MATCHING ENDIF
	  setvar _menuname ups('!_menuname')
	 endif
	*** RESUME EXECUTION OF COMMANDS

	 echo Gathering information on  ... please wait or press ctrl-y
to exit
	Gathering information on  ... please wait or press ctrl-y to
exit

	ELSE
	*** COMMANDS IGNORED UNTIL MATCHING ENDIF
	 xeq mpex.pub.vesoft;parm=1;info="!hpfile !helpme,!_menuname"
	 showvar _@
	ENDIF
	*** RESUME EXECUTION OF COMMANDS
	 showvar _@
	_MENUNAME = MYTESTVAR01
	ENDIF

Why does it display the var on the first run and not on the second?  Why
isn't it raising the characters to UPPER case?

I'm really missing something here and any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Sorry,  This is an On Topic discusssion  ;-)

Larry B.