HP3000-L Archives

March 2006, Week 3

From:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:00:52 -0500
If disobeying or ignoring UN resolutions were to be considered reason
enough
for invasion, we should be attacking Israel instead of Iraq. Israel has
steadfastly ignored UN resolutions passed 50 years ago demanding the
Palestinians' right of return, as well as more recent UN resolutions
demanding Israel return to the 1967 borders and evacuate the West Bank.

--------------------

This speaks more to the validity of UN Resolutions than the validity of
any invasion.  Refer to the Laconia Incident.

--------------------

If engaging in ethnic cleansing, the systematic suppression and humiliation
of whole peoples, and the development of weapons of mass destruction were
sufficient to be considered crimes, we should be attacking Israel instead
of
Iraq.

--------------------

And atatacking half the countries in the Middle East.  This speaks again
to the validity of the UN and it's proclaimations.  Israel is surrounded
by countries which hold the position it does not exist and treat it that
way.

--------------------

Life is not nearly as simple as the current administration is making it
seem.
Perhaps more relevant, nothing Iraq has done lately has posed any threat to
either the United States or any of Iraq's neighbors. Saddam is 65 years old
now, he has no active WMD programs, and he governs an army that is only 30%
to 50% the size it was during the 1991 invasion of Kuwait. The situation in
Iraq will come to an end in another 10 years of its own accord. Containment
as a policy worked for the Soviet Union, for Libya, and it would work for
Iraq. The most pro-western Islamic country in the region is now Iran, and
it
became so on its own, primarily because we left it alone.

Life is not a simple as the opposition party makes it seem either.  In
another 10 years one of his psycopath sons take over and a new situation
rises.