SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2006

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:42:18 -0500
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:16:04 -0500, Michael Doelle
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Lee went Vegas and posted:

>wing,
>I can descend, stop my descent stay relatively stationary and ascend, at
>will,  without finning.<
>
>>>'Relatively'? Would you be willing to demonstrate that in a test without
>fins?

Better. Mika.  In the Advanced Buoyancy Articles by Gleason in 1994,
Watson demonstrated his ability (at the END of a dive, when his tank
was almost empty) to be able to ascend SLOWLY and gradually to surface
from 60 fsw by breath control only.

He did the demo by having both his feet AND his hands tied, so that
he was incapabable of not only kicking with his bare feet of using
hand motion to compensate for some of the buoyancy change.

Watson was able to do this during the last minutes of his ascent
because he was already NEUTRAL at the time and the buoyancy
CHANGE from 60 feet to the surface couldn't be more than 1/2 lb.

>>How much of your money would you like to put at risk?<

I'll put my $10,000 against his, provided we have an air-tight
<pun intended> contract drawn up by a lawyer that if Lee should
die by drowning or suffer any bodily harm, I (or any bettor)
would NOT be responsible or have any liability on it.

The WAGER would be contingent up the condition that Lee would
do the same type of control as Watson did:  Lee would start with
a FULL TANK (on whatever lbs of lead he cared to put on himself) --
have both hands and feet tied during the entire dive, and must
remain MOTIONLESS in his BODY -- while remain NEUTRALLY BUOYANT
without touching any bottom in any Cozumel wall dive profile of
descent to 80 feet, remain at that level for an NDL profile
before starting the ascent at about the 30 minute mark, and
complete the remaining dive within 50 minutes, say, to make it
easy on Lee.

Lee must remain NEUTRALLY BUOYANT during his entire dive using
his "breathing control" ONLY.

>Do I get to supervise the test?

With the expected $10,000 win, I can afford to invite 5 qualified
NEDs (for a 6-pak boat of judges) to simultaneously supervise
the test, if the judges will agree NOT to rescue Lee before Lee
descends below 200 feet, having failed in his buoyancy test.
At which point, *I* will ATTEMPT to rescue him, provided he is
not sinking TOO fast.

We can draw up other details if Lee is now willing to back up
his own OFFER.

>>How much of your money would you like to put at risk?<

Sit around folks -- you'll be seeing some exciting mouth-
dancing, wiggling, and weaseling by Lee Bell trying to back
out his claim -- which as everyone worth a grain of salt would
know is an IMPOSSIBLE feat, according to the LAWS of Physics
and Physiology!

-- Bob.