HP3000-L Archives

February 2006, Week 4

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:10:26 -0500
Now the LieHouse tells us, that George didn't know.
Thats the problem. He never knows and he never briefs Congress with the
truth.

Bush Didn't Know About Ports Deal By TED BRIDIS, AP

WASHINGTON -     President Bush was unaware of the pending sale of shipping
operations at six major U.S. seaports to a state-owned business in the
United Arab Emirates until the deal already had been approved by his
administration, the White House said Wednesday.

Defending the deal anew, the administration also said that it should have
briefed Congress sooner about the transaction, which has triggered a major
political backlash among both Republicans and Democrats.

Bush on Tuesday brushed aside objections by leaders in the Senate and House
that the $6.8 billion sale could raise risks of terrorism at American
ports. In a forceful defense of his administration's earlier approval of
the deal, he pledged to veto any bill Congress might approve to block the
agreement.

But Lawmakers determined to capsize the pending sale said Bush's surprise
veto threat won't deter them.

"I will fight harder than ever for this legislation, and if it is vetoed I
will fight as hard as I can to override it," said Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y.,
chairman of the Homeland Security Committee. King and Democratic Sen.
Charles Schumer of New York said they will introduce emergency legislation
to suspend the ports deal.

Another Democrat, Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey, urged his colleagues to
force Bush to wield his veto, which Bush — in his sixth year in office —
has never done. "We should really test the resolve of the president on this
one because what we're really doing is securing the safety of our people."

White House counselor Dan Bartlett said Wednesday the UAE company, Dubai
Ports, "is a reputable firm that went through a congressionally approved
vetting process." He said the U.S. has "the necessary safeguards to make
sure that the security of our country is in place" and that rejecting the
deal would send "a dangerous signal to people overseas that America plays
favorites."

"The president wants this deal to go forward because it was followed by the
book and he wants Congress to understand that," Bartlett said on CBS' "The
Early Show." He told Fox News Channel that Bush felt strongly that "we need
to be adding strategic partners" in the Mideast.

But Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., said the bipartisan opposition to the deal
indicated "a lack of confidence in the administration" on both sides.
"Sure, we have to link up with our Arab friends but ... we want to see and
those in Congress want to know what ... safeguards are built in," Biden
said on ABC's "Good Morning America."

The first-ever sale involving U.S. port operations to a foreign, state-
owned company is set to be completed in early March. It would put Dubai
Ports in charge of major shipping operations in New York, New Jersey,
Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia. "If there was any chance
that this transaction would jeopardize the security of the United States,
it would not go forward," Bush said.

Defending his decision, Bush responded to a chorus of objections this week
in Congress over potential security concerns in the sale of London-based
Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

Bush's veto threat sought to quiet a political storm that has united
Republican governors and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee
with liberal Democrats, including New York Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and
Schumer.

To assuage concerns, the administration disclosed some assurances it
negotiated with Dubai Ports. It required mandatory participation in U.S.
security programs to stop smuggling and detect illegal shipments of nuclear
materials; roughly 33 other port companies participate in these
voluntarily. The Coast Guard also said it was nearly finished inspecting
Dubai Ports' facilities in the United States.

Frist said Tuesday, before Bush's comments, that he would introduce
legislation to put the sale on hold if the White House did not delay the
takeover. He said the deal raised "serious questions regarding the safety
and security of our homeland.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., asked the president for a moratorium
on the sale until it could be studied further. "We must not allow the
possibility of compromising our national security due to lack of review or
oversight by the federal government," Hastert said.

Bush took the rare step of calling reporters to his conference room on Air
Force One after returning from a speech in Colorado. He also stopped to
talk before television cameras after he returned to the White House.

"I can understand why some in Congress have raised questions about whether
or not our country will be less secure as a result of this transaction,"
the president said. "But they need to know that our government has looked
at this issue and looked at it carefully."

A senior executive from Dubai Ports World pledged the company would agree
to whatever security precautions the U.S. government demanded to salvage
the deal. Chief operating officer Edward "Ted" H. Bilkey promised Dubai
Ports "will fully cooperate in putting into place whatever is necessary to
protect the terminals."

Bush said protesting lawmakers should understand that if "they pass a law,
I'll deal with it with a veto."

Lawmakers from both parties have noted that some of the Sept. 11 hijackers
used the United Arab Emirates as an operational and financial base. In
addition, critics contend the UAE was an important transfer point for
shipments of smuggled nuclear components sent to Iran, North Korea and
Libya by a Pakistani scientist.