HP3000-L Archives

February 2006, Week 4

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:06:45 -0800
Michael Baier wrote:

>where is the problem?
>If you are 18, you can join the military, get trained to kill people and
>use million-$-equipment.
>However in most states, you can't order or drink a beer except on-post.

For once I find myself agreeing with Michael (gasp!).  Many of the liquor
laws in this country are just plain silly.  Several years ago when I was
living in Colorado, it was legal for people 18-20 years old to purchase and
consume 3.2 beer.  Under threat from the federal government of losing all
federal highway funding, the state legislature raised the age to 21.  Never
mind that there was no evidence that drunk driving among people in that age
group was higher than for other age groups, nor that those who were driving
drunk got that way drinking 3.2 beer (difficult to do, by the way).  The
federal authorities didn't care, of course, that their arm twisting did
little to improve driving safety - they just wanted to be able to tell their
constituents that they were "doing something about drunk driving."
Politicians love meaningless gestures!

Even if you agree that 18-year-olds are too young to be trusted with
alcohol, it seems at least inconsistent to trust them to vote and to serve
in the military at the same time we treat them as children with respect to
alcohol.

John Clogg