HP3000-L Archives

February 2006, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:04:39 EST
Michael quotes:

> Bush Blames Cuts at Energy Lab on Mix-Up
>
>  President Bush on Tuesday acknowledged that Washington has sent "mixed
>  signals" to one of the nation's premiere labs studying renewable energies
—
>  by first laying off, then reinstating, 32 workers just before his visit.
>
>  The president blamed the conflicting message on an appropriations mix-up
in
>  funding the Energy Department's National Renewable Energy Laboratory,
which
>  is developing the very renewable energy technologies the president is
>  promoting.

I watched a snippet of his speech at the NREL this morning on television,
because, for the first time in five years, this is a policy of his that I can
fully support. Perhaps the most interesting thing to come of that talk, which was
more of a pep talk than a policy lecture, was that he pronounced NREL as
"Enron."

I kid you not. As the broadcast was simultaneously being recorded by my DVR,
I went back and listened to it again to be sure that I hadn't misunderstood
what he said. No, it was plainly "Enron," perhaps the ultimate Freudian slip,
indicating that he's not yet a completely reformed, seen-the-light Texas oil
man, but he's getting closer to T. Boone Pickens and me every day now.

Wirt Atmar