HP3000-L Archives

February 2006, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:15:48 EST
Tracy writes:

> I have two e3k's one a 957 at 10.10.1.3, the other a 937 at 10.10.1.4.
>
>  telnet readily connects to 1.4 but is extremely sluggish vs 1.3.

If by sluggish, you mean sluggish to sign on, but once on, everything tends
to work properly, then your problem lies in the queue that JINETD is running
in. A very CPU-busy machine will push JINETD's priority so low, especially if a
higher-priority CPU process's utilization is 100% for long periods of time,
that signon becomes impossible.

As I've mentioned several times before here on the list, the trick that we
adopt here is that we run JINETD in the B queue, but this solution has not been
much appreciated by James Hoffmeister. Unfortunately, the only thing to
recommend doing this is that it works. That, and the fact that we've seen no
downside to doing this.

I do believe however that James has come up with some sort of patch to modify
telnet's queue signon queue position, but I don't have the details.

Moving JINETD only affects the signon process. Once signed on, a telnet
session is basically unaffected by the CPU's busy-ness.

Wirt Atmar