HP3000-L Archives

February 2006, Week 1

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:32:25 -0500
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:38:12 +0000, John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Denys dissembled :
>> Whilst I am flattered that you think so, I must confess that I am not
>> Jewish. I cannot speak for Shawn about this.
>
>Not sure what that has to do with anything.
>
>However, when you said : "Shawn is a Conservative which means he does not
have a
>racist bone in his body", I couldn't see the relevance as any Conservative
(or
>Liberal for that matter) can be racist. Wouldn't you call the Klu Klux Klan
>conservatives?
>
>Cheers,
>
>John

John,

to clear things up. The Republican party at least the current main-force
is being paid by big companies like oil, developers and such.
They are very corrupt.
Contrary to Denys statement, the Democrats are actually pretty strong on
Patriotism. The go and serve while many of the Republicans send somebody
elses child while they hide.
Thats why they are called chicken-hawks.

Michael
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060207/ap_on_go_co/veterans_for_congress;_ylt=A
l9ePdtsNM6J4bX5b7F_fFEb.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

Iraq War Draws Veterans Into Politics By JON SARCHE, Associated Press
Writer Tue Feb 7, 2:09 PM ET

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - After 20 years in the Air Force and Bronze Star
service during the 1991

Gulf War, Democrat Jay Fawcett decided to come home and run for Congress,
largely out of disgust with the way American troops were being used in
Iraq.

"I think it's just gotten to the point where a significant number of us
who've served are looking at this administration particularly — and
Congress doesn't get off the hook — and saying, `What're you doing? What's
the plan?'" he said.

Fawcett is part of a large and possibly unprecedented number of former
soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines running for Congress this year.

About 40 of the candidates are Republicans, while at least 55 are
Democrats. By one count, at least 11 veterans of the Iraq war or
Afghanistan are hoping to get elected to the House or Senate, all but one
of them Democrats.

The fighting Democrats, as some call themselves, say their military
experience could give them the credibility to criticize the war without
being dismissed out of hand by the GOP as naive and weak on defense, as the
Bush administration has often done.

"One of the things I think is behind this movement is, we're not stupid in
the military. We know when we've been used and misused," Navy veteran Bill
Winter, a Democrat who hopes to challenge GOP Rep. Tom Tancredo in the
Republican suburbs of Denver.

Former Sen. Max Cleland, D-Ga., who lost both legs and an arm while serving
in Vietnam, said the Iraq war veterans running as Democrats will offer "a
direct rebuttal" to the administration on the Iraq war.

"This administration, come April, will be going into the fourth year of
this war after the president said three weeks into it `Major combat over,
mission accomplished, bring them on,'" Cleland said. "You tell me who's out
of touch. It's not these Iraqi veterans that are coming back and saying,
`This is not the way it was on the ground there, and I'm going to do
something to change this.'"

Fawcett, who spent years as a defense contractor after leaving the Air
Force, wants to take on Republican Rep. Joel Hefley in a Colorado Springs-
area district that has one of the country's biggest concentrations of
veterans. It includes the Air Force Academy, two Air Force bases, a major
Army installation and NORAD, the air defense command. The district has been
represented by a Republican since the seat was created more than three
decades ago.

The roster of Democratic veterans includes engineers, teachers, lawyers,
business owners and a pastor. Their stands on the war range from calling
for immediate withdrawal to demanding a clearer timetable and a way out.
Fawcett, for example, says that pulling out now would be a mistake, but
that the Bush administration has failed to clearly state its goals and an
exit strategy.

Among other veterans running for office:

• Marine reservist Paul Hackett, who served in Iraq and is running for the
Senate in Ohio. The Democrat narrowly lost a special House election last
year in a district where

President Bush won 64 percent of the vote in 2004.

• Former Army Maj. L. Tammy Duckworth, a helicopter pilot who lost her legs
in a grenade attack in Iraq. She is running as a Democrat for the Illinois
congressional seat of retiring Republican Rep. Henry Hyde. She said she
privately disagreed with Bush's decision to invade Iraq but still
volunteered to serve. "We should have been fighting the enemies that
attacked us at home on 9/11," she said in December. "We should have been
out there trying to catch Osama bin Laden."

• Democrat Eric Massa, a 24-year Navy officer challenging freshman
Republican Rep. Randy Kuhl in western New York.

Elections after the end of World War II and the Vietnam War also saw large
numbers of veterans running for Congress.

Republicans this time around could have a difficult time countering
opposition to the administration's war plan — or the war itself — from
veteran-Democrats, said Gary Jacobson, a congressional scholar at the
University of California at San Diego.

"Popular sentiment is not terribly pro-war now, and there's lots of doubts
about the administration's honesty and the purposes of the war," he
said. "So if you have a veteran come back and start trashing the war,
that's a problem for Republicans."

Still, a veteran cannot count on an easy win, said Ed Patru, spokesman for
the National Republican Congressional Committee.

"Being a veteran, it's great to have that on your resume," he said. "People
appreciate veterans, but if you're wrong on taxes and the economy, the
bread-and-butter, kitchen-tabletop kind of issues, being a veteran is not
going to save you."

___