SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2006

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 09:07:31 -0500
Amidst his back breading schedule of organizing/cancelling
OZTEK and other scuba shows, Strike and Sylvia put much time
and effort into our reunion at Strike's Reef, with much
enthusiasm of welcome from Strike's assistant Oggy, who
attempted a flying leap at every guest, and no one escaped
without having his/her arm or hand in Oggy's mouth at one
time or another, while Strike and Sylvia did their best to
keep us from being devoured by Oggy.  :-)

We took the ferry from the Circular Quay at Sydney to Manly
where Strike was to pick us up at 11:30 am.  While I was there
looking for Strike, I noticed a familiar face walking toward
the Wharf and instantly recalled that it was Huw because his
looks hadn't changed a bit since we last saw him in London.
When I asked him whether our Schapps fest was in 2002 or 2003
when we were in London, Huw was sure it was 1999, after the
CozNEDfest!  I couldn't believe how time has flown!!

When we got to Strike's Reef, we were immediately given the
most enthusiatic welcome ... by Oggy, who took both Strike
and Sylvia holding Oggy's choking collar to keep us in at
safe distance from Oggy's welcome.  :-)

We were joined shorty thereafter by Janet (without Tricky,
who was teaching a class when we went by his dive shop next
to the Manly Wharf), and Tim (whom we met at the Long Bar
at Ruffles in Singapore at the 2004 ADEX) and his wife Meg.
Julien and Helen didn't make it back in time from their
travel to join us.  Viv was at the gathering, via a phone
call from Perth, speaking to me, Sue, and Huw, besides
Strike.

We had a feast of barbecue lamp shop and sausages prepared
by chef Strike; and a generous assortment of other dishes
prepared by Sylvia.  I am not sure what and how many bottles
wines were consumed, but did notice Strike showing Tim the
bottle label of the Special Reserve of Phyco-plonk, vintage
2005, made or aged inside Tricky's BCD.  :-)

Both Sue and I were curious as to whether Sylvia or Sue
had the longer hair now.  It was a virtual TIE, as far as
I could tell, except Sue's new growth was (by Sue's account)
the color of the silver back gorilla, silver and light grey,
nothing like her former hair color.  (:-)  Strike's hair
was a distant 3rd, in length.  :-))

Tall tales and fish stories were told or re-told at the
gathering and we all had a mahvelous time at the Strike's
Reef Feast.   Note to Mark B:  no grouper was consumed
or roasted;  thought one was captured by Janet in her
digital camera during their morning dive with Strike.

da Feeesh.