HP9000-L Archives

February 2006

From:
donna garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:26:07 -0800
--- Dave Waroff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If you are new to unix get "The UNIX Programming Environment" by
> Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike without delay; it is concise
> and complete as a general guide.
>
> Another good book is "Learning the UNIX Operating System" by
> Peek, Todino, Strang (O'Reilly)

>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourne_shell

let's get our facts straight....  (this is from hp's class notes for
their shell scripting class)

the bourne shell was the original unix shell.  the syntax resembles
algol [as noted by wikipedia, dg].

the C chell contains most features of the bourne shell plus many new
ones.  the syntax resembles the c programming language.

the korn shell is a superset of the bourne shell with many new
features.  it also incorporates some of the best features of the c
shell.

the korn shell was used as the basis for the posix shell.  the posix
shell is similar to the korn shell but is better [at least according to
hp, dg].  it has become the default shell in hp-ux since 1992.

the posix shell is the default shell for root/superuser.  don't change
it!

/usr/bin/sh  -- posix shell
/bin/sh      -- posix shell (also /sbin/sh)
/usr/bin/csh -- c shell
/usr/bin/ksh -- korn shell

you might want to check 'portable shell programming' by bruce blinn.

> If you are familiar with MPE, in unix
>   Everything You Know Is Wrong

hrump!      - d

Donna Garverick, HP-CSA   Sr. System Programmer
dgarverick -at- longs -dot- com
925-210-6631              Longs Drug Stores

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson