HP3000-L Archives

January 2006, Week 4

From:
Timothy Atwood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothy Atwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:26:23 -0800
Luckily it is only likely to be for 18 months to 2 years. It is a minority
government in a parliamentary system. People in the US rarely understand
about multi-party systems where the ruling party sometimes only holds a
minority of seats. You also rarely understand a system where elections can
be called at almost any time or forced by the fall of a minority government.
Historically in Canada minority governments do not last more than a couple
of years.

Many of us here in Canada are very happy with the thought the Conservative
Party is probably going to screw up while trying to run the country from the
very difficult position of a minority government. We also know if the
Liberal Party (middle of the road, not "liberal") had not had a big scandal
this never would have happened. In a couple of years most voters will have
forgotten the scandal. Then Canada will return to our standard safe,
middle-of-the-road politics. I take a lot of consolation in the realization
the Conservatives will probably be back out of power very soon.

Timothy Atwood
Holtenwood Computing
http://www.holtenwood.bc.ca/computing/