HP3000-L Archives

January 2006, Week 3

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:48:53 -0500
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:48:34 -0500, Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The right of governments to abuse their own citizens was formally
>denied and made illegal with the adoption of the Universal
>Declaration of Human Rights in 1948. A document that was created at
>the behest and under the guidance of the United States of America.
>Since that time it has been a crime to commit or countenance such
>things as arbitrary arrest or execution, detention without trial,
>torture and a host of other things that pass for the foreign and
>domestic policies of the United States these days.
>
>------------------
>
>Or even the policies of the UN itself.
>
>------------------
>
>Saddam, like a host of other brutal rulers in the last half of the
>20C, should have been removed by international legal action long
>ago.  Unfortunately, the means to do so without recourse to war
>have never been developed.  In large measure this is due to the
>intractable resistance of the rulers of the western democracies who
>do not savour the prospect of perhaps being placed in the dock for
>their own misdeeds and who therefore continue to play games on the
>international arena that if attempted domestically would
>immediately result in their prosecution.
>
>------------------
>
>This speaks volumes about the ineffectiveness of the UN as an
>international peacekeeping body.
>
>Although I would not constrain the resistors only to western
>democracies.  I claim a case can be made for every single country
>as being in violation of a UN human rights violation of some kind.

You mean like some of the UN violations by Israel?
Of course, as long as the US as well as other countries block any UN
resolution against certain countries, this is very effective.
The US blocks 99% of the resultions against Israel.
Russia blocks resolutions against ...
China blocks against .....
and so on.

Michael