HP3000-L Archives

January 2006, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:45:28 -0500
On 18 Jan 2006 at 16:50, Denys Beauchemin wrote:

> Well, as usual you recall wrong.  The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan was
> to support a puppet communist regime.

One diplomatic excuse is much like another, the USSR invaded to
support a regime, the USA to topple one.  Both are cover stories for
implementing foreign policies operating under a misconceived belief
that violence will lead to a durable peace in the absence of other
accommodations.

> Osama bin Laden was never under the tutelage of the USA.  He denied
> getting any support from the US

So how is it that he operated recruiting centres in Detroit and NYC
during the 1980s?  Osama is now a reputable source?  Certainly, he
could have no reason to deny a past connection with the great satan
now, could he?

> There were seven dead and four wounded. A US Navy (not USAF) F-14
> bombed the building where three men who had been observed planting a
> bomb had entered.  .

AP, Reuters, WP, and ABC have variously reported the number of deaths
 from a low of six to a high of fourteen.  Iraqbodycount.com reports
a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 12 deaths for this incident.  A
relative of the the victims who serves in the Iraqi security forces
reported that twelve of his family members had been killed.  US
military authorities were unable to confirm that they had direct
intelligence that anyone had actually entered entered the house or
were present when the bombs struck or even that a bomb had been
planted. What they had was evidence of suspicious activity that
conformed with the profile of people planning to plant a bomb.
Hardly the sort of evidence that warrants taking the life of a ten
year old child.  The US did confirm that no post-strike ground survey
was undertaken or planned.

> I seriously doubt that a Maverick missile was used for this attack; it
> was probably a GBU-32 JDAM, which is a GPS guided bomb as they are
> exceedingly accurate.

Your fascination and familiarity with military hardware is duly
noted.

>  ... and the US military is trying very hard to minimize civilian casualties.

I suggest then that they refrain from using aerial bombing as a
method of establishing civil order.  What is next, poison gas?

> The rest of your message makes no sense; I would never let terrorists
> enter my house after they planted a bomb.

This statement presumes that at 10:30 p.m. you are awake and aware
that three men have entered your home, that you are in possession of
the knowledge that they had in fact planted a bomb and that you
possess the means to enforce your will against three presumably armed
intruders.   However,  even granting this astonishing set of
circumstances; what if you are not there, armed and ready to defend
against all comers, and armed men forcibly enter your home against
the wishes of your family?  Would you agree then that an airstrike
against all of the inhabitants is a suitable and measured response?
What if they left before the bomb truck arrived.  Would bombing still
be acceptable?

I have often found myself subject to the exigencies of life and few
were the occasions where my will had any influence on events.  You
are indeed fortunate to be able to control the fates to such a degree
and to anticipate with such certainty the outcome.

The home that was bombed was attacked on suspicion and not on certain
knowledge. A large number of civilians, apparently all women and
children, were either killed outright or severely, perhaps mortally,
wounded. Several neighbours were seriously injured in nearby homes,
these people had no evident involvement with anything even mildly
suspicious, they just lived next store to a target.  There are no
reports that any adult males were listed among the casualties, which
is more than passing strange if any were actually in the house at the
time of the attack. If none were present at the time of the attack
then this was just an act of malevolent violence without any
discernible legal or military objective.  If any were then it still
displays an appalling indifference for the lives of innocents caught
up in events not of their making.

The United States of America has accepted the legal responsibilities
of an occupying power under the Geneva Conventions which means that
this sort of willful and reckless mayhem is far, far over the line of
criminal responsibility.

> I did not hear a thing from you condemning the suicide bomber that killed
> 30 people on January 3 in a funeral procession in Muqdadiya, Iraq.

As I tell my children, that others do wrong is no justification for
ones own impropriety.  But, since you raised the issue, just how many
suicide bombers attacked funerals in Iraq in 2002?, 2001? 2000? 	In
fact, how many suicide attacks of all forms took place in Iraq
between 1993 and 2003?

Yes, Saddam Hussien was an evil man who killed tens of thousands of
Iraqis in his thirty years in power. GWB has only managed to kill
about 31,000 since 2003, but he still has another two years to catch
up.

--

***     e-mail is NOT a secure channel     ***
James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB.<token>@Harte-Lyne.ca