HP3000-L Archives

January 2006, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 18 Jan 2006 20:02:36 -0800521_iso-8859-1 Also stopped and started network after changes. Did not reboot. Network
printers still connect through old TR LAN.

I tried shutting down old TR LAN. Spooled Network printers immediately
crashed (spooler stopped). When I restarted the spooled printers, it then
connects through the new Ethernet card - so long as the old TR network is
not available. As soon as old TR LAN is once again available, this appears
to once again become the first choice of network printers for connecting. [...]48_18Jan200620:02:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:20:16 EST
To extend my previous response regarding Shinseki and the common expectation
of civil disorder following the fall of a totalitarian regime:

> But I'm still waiting for Michael to cite that true prophet, whom Bush
> should have heeded.

Q. Explain the reasoning of the head of the U.S. Army, Gen. Shinseki, on how
important the first days after the fall of Baghdad would be.

A. Shinseki of the Army drew not only on his experience in the Balkans,
trying to administer a fractious region postwar. [He also drew from] all the corpus
of evidence that had been produced by the Army War College, by every other
group that looked into this, to say that there was a crucial moment just after
the fall of a regime when the potential for disorder was enormous. So there
would be ripple effects for years to come, depending on what happened in those
first days or weeks when the regime went [down] ….

...there was a kind of bidding game that went on between the civilian
leadership and the Army, where the Army and its allies in the other forces were
saying, "We'd like about 400,000 troops to go in." Rumsfeld's idea was more like
75,000. Through a process of negotiation, the U.S. finally went to war with the
low 200,000s of troops in Iraq.

--http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/invasion/interviews/fallows.html

Wirt Atmar