HP3000-L Archives

January 2006, Week 2

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:09:40 -0500
On 13 Jan 2006 at 0:00, HP3000-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Now, it's just a banana republic

The unconscious irony revealed by this choice of phrase is
exquisitely delicious, if one but pauses to consider its origins.

Canada, like most multi-ethnic states, suffers from the
consequences of having permanent fault lines etched into its
domestic politics.  In this respect it is not far different from
Germany (North-South, Catholic-Protestant, Bavarian-Prussian,
Deutschlander-Turk), Italy (North-South, Scillian-Savoy), the
United Kingdom (North-South, England-Scot-Irish, Catholic-
Protestant), and Russia (Muscovy-the rest, Christian-Muslim).

These faults are regularly exploited by those bereft of scruple
wishing to possess power. The U.S.A possesses these fissures as
well, witness the struggle between evangelical protestantism and
secular pragmatism, not to overlook the perennial black-white
divide.  They are dealt with the imperfectly mainly because they
admit to no other solution but the passage of sufficient time to
render them inconsequential.

The main plaint originating from our neighbours (and some former
residents) to the south seems to be that we are not like them.
Well, that is the way it is and it is not likely to change, Stephen
Harper or no.

Canada benefits from not having an over-large military and a deep
seated public aversion to possessing one.  This makes control of
the country less attractive to those that see violence as a
legitimate form of obtaining what they desire.  The corruption of
some public servants and office holders, while deplorable, is well
within tolerable limits and far less than that practised on the
public in the not so distant past.  It is to be recalled that it is
the experience of malconduct that brings into existence the laws
and the oversight that make its future occurrence less likely.

The current betting is on either a liberal minority with NDP
support or a conservative minority with BQ support.  The later
eventuality will probably destroy the conservatives as a viable
national party for a generation of subsequent elections, so I am of
mixed emotion as to whether I wish this upon them or not.

--
     *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***
mailto:byrnejb.<token>@harte-lyne.ca