UTCSTAFF Archives

January 2006

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Lyn Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lyn Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:36:20 -0500
The Women's Faculty Caucus wants to thank the faculty for their input
regarding the proposed resolution on acquaintance gang rape. The discussion
is indeed good. We will take President Rice's suggestion, and bring the
revised resolution before the Faculty Senate, which was

our original intention, anyway.

We also thank Professor Stuart, and others, for support, and for
acknowledging in his comments on Raven that his perspective comes, in part,
from gossip from a defense attorney in the October rape case, and is not a
balanced view. In our view, the Hamilton County District Attorney's office
would not have brought a case to court that it did not believe had merit, so
if a judge's ruling was so unusual in this case, we maybe should reflect on
other possible causes.

For an alternative view, we have the "godmother" of Title IX federal
legislation, Dr. Bernice R. Sandler, Senior Scholar at the Women's Research
and Education Institute in Washington, D.C. I am attaching email I received
from her this week (see below).

In an earlier email to us, she acknowledged how difficult it is to obtain
good statistics on campus gang rape, for obvious reasons, but she stands
behind two major national studies. However, locally, as several UTC students
have noted in the media, specifically on TV Channels 3 and 9, "pulling a
train" is not uncommon at UTC.

I note as an aside, that much as rape victims now have to defend how many
vaginal tears they have, how long the tears are, and how "drunker than
drunk" they were, etc., the Women's Faculty Caucus, whose common desire is
only to prevent exploitation of UTC students and support the Chancellor's
efforts to change a campus culture, has had to defend that we are NOT
opposing either fraternities or athletics or consensual group sex. The
sufragettes were falsely labeled as "hysterical" a century ago, and look how
silly that seems to us today.

Again, thanks to all for your input, criticisms, and the many supportive
emails we have received-- please continue to send your comments to either:
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask], and the Faculty Senate.

H. Lyn Miles, UC Foundation Professor of Anthropology

Women's Faculty Caucus

BERNICE SANDLER LETTER TO WOMEN'S FACULTY CAUCUS----