SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2006

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 07:45:03 -0500
"Reef Fish" wrote:

> But your statement is a long-standing myth on all other SCUBA
> equipment.

Having worked for a few years as a baggage handler, I can assure you that
it's no myth.  While theft of any kind from checked baggage is not common,
when scuba equipment is stolen, it is most often from bags that can be seen
to contain such equipment.  The fact that Bob has not lost his equipment
speaks more to the infrequency of theft of any sort than to the kind of
container he carries his equipment in.

Personally, I usually carry items of greatest value with me.  My regulator,
dive computer, notebook computer and, when possible, my cameras, whether
land or underwater.  Gear that I do check, normally goes in a hard sided
Samsonite suitcase both because it does not shout "valuable contents" and
because it is better able to withstand the rigors that baggage handlers put
luggage through.  In addition to scuba equipment, I occasionally transport
fireamrs.  While these must be disclosed to and marked by airline personnel,
the bags containing them don't have to be made obvious to would be thieves.
A locked case (inspected by TSA first), inside another case, works quite
well.  So far, so good.

Lee