HP3000-L Archives

December 2005, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:22:47 EST
Bruce writes:

> When you use phrases like "some would argue", "according to some" and "some
>  think", you no longer have to back up your statements with facts.
>
>  This is why Fox News uses phrases like those in so many of their reports.

There are several grammatical mistakes that people commonly make on this
newsgroup that really bother me. One of them is confusing the spelling of "losing"
and "loosing". For some reason, there's a pronounced tendency by geeks and
nerds to use them in reverse of their meanings. "Losing" is the proper spelling
for the gerund of "lose," as in "born to lose," while "loosing" is associated
with the word, "loose," as in "loose cannon."

Another is the constant tendency to confuse the spelling of "Faux News" with
the word "Fox." "Faux" is a French word and it's spelled and means the same in
both French and English, "fake," but it's not pronounced the same in the two
languages. In French, the "x" is silent, so that it's pronounced "faw." In
English however, the "x" is not silent, so it's pronounced "fox," and I suspect
that's where the confusion is creeping in.

Wirt Atmar