HP3000-L Archives

December 2005, Week 1

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:14:42 -0500
John, you have my complete sympathies. The Sunday after I was downsized from
CGI, the Boston Globe's front page had an article on the worst job market
statistics in more than fifteen years. In addition to hitting the job
boards, I got to work on MS certification. And then I took a grad course in
database management at Boston University, arguably the best school offering
a Computer Science Masters program that wasn't a full time job (which MIT's
program is, not that their recruiters came calling), although homework was
twelve to twenty hours a week. After about a year of unemployment, I found a
job in an Ecometry shop for about 75% of what I had been earning, and that
didn't work out as I had hoped. So now I am in a Windows shop much like Art
describe, and I am the IT department, so to speak. I still tend processes
that must run, I still check logs, and I still make sure that the backups
ran as expected (must every backup product be told not to try to back up
files that its operating system always lock?). It's strangely familiar.

In addition to picking a new skill set (or a new vendor for your existing
skill set) and finding some way to demonstrate competence, I would encourage
anyone to post his or her resume to the job boards. It's feeding frenzy with
recruiters. Robert Half reopened their IT recruiting practice in my area.
And I have been contacted by more than my share who found my resume by
keyword search, and only read my phone number. But I was in a contract job
six weeks after the Ecometry shop job ended, and went from that to the
current job. And both paid significantly better. At least here, the economy
seems to have recovered.

Greg Stigers, MCSA
one exam to go for my MCSE