HP3000-L Archives

December 2005, Week 1

From:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:28:46 EST
<<Yeah, but why should they? If you are never going to hang a tape or  punch
card, who cares? Most people under the age of 45 can't start a car  with a
manual choke (probably don't know what a manual choke even is), but  that
doesn't prevent them from being perfectly good drivers.  >>

No, but you would expect your mechanic to be *knowledgable*  about manual and
auto trannies as well as a host of other things that makes your vehicle
tick......

For the amount of $$$ you are paying them to maintain/fix up your vehicle
you
would want the most knowledgable mechanic working on your car/truck/Hummer
whatever...

Some time ago I paid a ludicrous amount of money to my  local Toyota dealer
for major
under the hood work on my truck-- valve job, head gasket job etc  etc...

You think I'd trust that kind of work to some joker at the local Chevron or
76 station ??

The point isn't whether they know about write rings or inter-block gaps  etc,
the point is that
these 4g/l jokers don't have an all-round enough knowledge for my  liking.

Case in point --

I've worked in places where I found these people (not just guys but girls
too) to be very
dangerous -- had some guy labeled as "Web Site Manager" in the computer  room
trying to re-configure a Web Server (pc), pulling out cables etc and who
stupidly enough
brought the 3000 to its knees that day. In the middle of production! A real
jackass.
I completely lost it and threw him out of "my" computer room. I've also
worked in places
where they would have fired him for doing a lot less than that.......

Brian.