HP3000-L Archives

November 2005, Week 2

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:21:34 -0500
> Hello All,
>
> The TCP timer settings I use to connect to ... Internet

> [1  ]     Retransmission Interval Lower Bound (Secs)
> [360  ]   Maximum Time to Wait For Remote Response (Sec)
> [2  ]     Initial Retransmission Interval (Secs)
> [8  ]     Maximum Retransmissions per Packet

One additional word...  If your network is sufficiently fast and error
free...   These network timers do not apply (period).

The initial problem description "possible solution to performance issues
with FTP client on HP3000" does not describe the problem properly...  The
configuration change of the TCP timers is necessary for FTP to operate in an
environment where the network is poor performing and/or poor quality.

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com
Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.