HP3000-L Archives

November 2005, Week 2

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:26:25 -0500
Hello John,

>>James, Does setting the lower bound lower than the initial retransmission
>>interval accomplish anything?  I was under the impression that the first
>>retransmission of a packet uses the initial interval, and the intervals
>>grow longer after that.  Am I mistaken?

After a connection is initially established... the "Retransmission Timer"
value becomes the computed value of the smoothed round trip time.  This
computed value can increase or decrease depending on the smoothed round trip
time of a sending a TCP data packet and receiving the ACK reply packet.
This computed  "Retransmission Timer" can decrease to a value as low as the
configured value [1] of the lower bound or can increase as high as the real
value in seconds for the smoothed round trip time.

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com
Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.