HP3000-L Archives

November 2005, Week 2

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:52:01 -0500
The following was part of the fun I had while trying to install PGP on my HP3000.  (Note the binaries are no longer available.)

I got all the tarballs downloaded and installed on my HP3000.  (How I got them is another adventure.)  Had to shorten them because the file names were too long.  So I called them unix, delta, and c89 respectively.

For the main file I had to get gzip from 3K associates.  Upload it on my HP3K, drop it in /SYS/HPBIN -then- build the link to /bin.   only to find out it wouldn't work against the unix file with the following garbage:

shell/iX> gzip -dc ./unix | tar xvopf -
gzip 115: ±°  Y ~WÇÁÒ¶ %s: not found
gzip 117: %s:: not found              «à
gzip 119: %s:: not found@¢!ð@~ï-é Rwb
gzip 130: %s:: not found
gzip 209: %s:: not found
: not found0~QßL_ï
gzip 209: ÒÒ 4l4:+: not found
gzip 209:  +eÑ+e+d0 +d0kÆ? +: not found
gzip 209: Kºí7Ô??Ã: not found
gzip 209: cannot open "=" for input: No such file or directory gzip 209: syntax error: got (, expecting Newline 0 blocks If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready

(An abortio from another session had to clear me out of here.)

Still not fazed, I simply unzipped the unix file on my PC using standard winzip to a temp directory (with subdirs) and uploaded each file using Reflection.  Good thing that Reflection lets one upload multiple files.  But I had to build each subdirectory on the HP3000 side manually.

Once -that- was done the regular tarballs for the "delta" and "c89" files were extracted in the normal manner.

Then it came time to run the "mpe/patch.sh" and "mpe/build.sh" scripts.

Glory be ... It turns out I need a "C" (CCOMXL.PUB.SYS) compiler.

Back to the drawing board.

Tracy Johnson
Measurement Specialties, Inc.

BT