HP3000-L Archives

November 2005, Week 1

From:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul H Christidis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:57:05 -0800
>EasyTime does not enjoy popularity for various reasons. I'm surprised
that
>someone uses it to perform backups. I'm used to seeing it done with job
>streams, and recommend that approach instead.

In the end EasyTime also uses the STORE command to perform it backup.  It
simply submits a batch job which in turn runs ETBACKUP.PUB.SYS which in
turn launches the STORE utility with the proper options.

>STORE does not store user information, or passwords. So, if by directory
you
>mean that in the sense of LDAP, NDS or Active Directory, that's
different.

It seems that the ';DIRECTORY' option on the STORE command DOES store user
information.  I issued the following commands:

37) FILE SFILE;DEV=DISC
38) STORE PAUL@;*SFILE;DIRECTORY;SHOW
39) PURGEUSER PAUL
40) PURGE PAULSFIL
41) RESTORE *SFILE;PAUL@;SHOW
42) RESTORE *SFILE;PAUL@;SHOW;DIRECTORY
43) LISTUSER PAUL

The above commands stored to disk a file that was created by the user
'paul.sys' and then purged the user and the file from the system. The
'restore' performed by command # 41 failed to restore the file because the
user was missing and the ';create' option was not specified.  Command # 42
succeeded and then command # 43 listed the original user with its
password.

>Others have explained what STORE means by DIRECTORY (which you still want

>and need). But look at BULDACCT, whose contents you likely want on your
>backup tapes, but probably do not want to leave on your system, unless
you
>take pains to secure it.

I don't know what additional information, if any, are provided by BULDACCT
(Perhaps BULDACCT would be needed if the ';TRANSPORT' option is
specified).  If a site wanted to also include the output of BULDACCT in
their backup while still using EasyTime, they could add the needed
commands in the file 'ETBACKJ.PUB.SYS' to run BULDACCT, perform the backup
and then purge the files created by BULDACCT.

I think that if a site has EasyTime/XL on their system then the backups
created through EasyTime do contain the directory information and the
account structures could be re-created on another machine.

Regards
Paul Christidis