HP3000-L Archives

November 2005, Week 1

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:44:23 -0500
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:55:08 -0500, Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Here's something for the Supreme Court to decide.
>
>-----------------
>
>No, this is something for a jury to decide.

This one is for the jury.

Glued to toilet, man sues Home Depot
Thursday, November 3, 2005; Posted: 6:41 a.m. EST (11:41 GMT)

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Home Depot is defending a lawsuit filed by a man
who claims one of the chain's stores ignored his cries for help after he
fell victim to a prank and was glued to a toilet seat.

Bob Dougherty, 57, of nearby Nederland, said he became stuck to a bathroom
toilet seat last year after somebody smeared glue on it.

"They left me there, going through all that stress," Dougherty told The
Daily Camera, of Boulder. "They just let me rot."

His lawsuit, filed Friday, said Dougherty was recovering from heart bypass
surgery at the time and thought he was having a heart attack. A store
employee who heard him calling for help informed the head clerk via radio,
but the head clerk "believed it to be a hoax," the lawsuit said.

Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher said she could not comment on
pending litigation.

According to the lawsuit, store officials called for an ambulance after
about 15 minutes. Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat.

Dougherty, "frightened and humiliated," passed out as he was being wheeled
out of the store, court papers said.

The lawsuit said the toilet seat separated from his skin, leaving abrasions.

"This is not Home Depot's fault," Dougherty said. "But I am blaming them
for letting me hang in there and just ignoring me."