HP3000-L Archives

November 2005, Week 1

From:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:15:34 EST
I need to impart this info to one and all regarding this topic of
discussion. I discovered this issue the very hard way many eons ago when I  worked at a
<nameless> company that used CM KSAM files on a NM  HP3000......

That is, the problem that MPEiX went/goes thru switching from  NM to CM (to
access the CM KSAM file) and back again to NM. The system  overhead was
tremendous and caused a
lot of problems.

I wasn't even aware of the problem until the system manager at the  time
asked me why on earth I was using the old CM KSAM file structure and  not the new
NM KSAMXL ??

I replied "I wasn't even aware there were new KSAM file  structures."

So from that day onward, whenever I wanted/needed to use KSAM at all,  I used
(and still use) KSAMXL.... Would appear to have much less  overhead and more
efficient.

Of course, <cough>, if I have to develop anything with a file system  I would
preferably use TurboIMAGE databases. Just my preference to KSAMXL every
time......

But maybe that wouldn't be the optimum solution for you and  others.

Brian Donaldson.