HP3000-L Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:09:41 -0700
John,

Glad you found the Glance (trial),... :-)

Memory will go up to 95, because MPE will try to cache everything, (including SUPRTOOL reads).

What I would look at for memory issues is, how much cpu is spent by the memory manager, if it is
above 4% for extended periods of time, you will probably see some difference by adding memory.

You can't just throw in a faster CPU, HP has gotten wise to that... on the newer N-classes, the HP
CE needs to change the HPCPUNAME to reference the faster processor.... Also, I don't think that
the HPSUSAN would remain the same.

That being said, you could pay for HP to comeout and change the CPU name, you could probably
double the processor speed.  However, for what HP will charge you, you probably could find a
faster box on the third party market for less price than HP will charge.

Have you looked at some of the obvious things, i.e. is there a lot of pin 17, transaction manager
activity?

HOWMESSY are your main databases?  (about 60 percent of performance problems are database issues)

What does a LINKCONTROL @,a  show?  It may be a networking issue.

Finally, what type of disc subsystem are you using?  Sticking an AutoRaid 12H on an N-class is
kind of like sticking a Porsche engine in a VW Bug.

Good luck.

-Craig

http://mail.yahoo.com