HP3000-L Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:50:33 EDT
Jeff writes:

> Wirt Atmar wrote:
>  > Jeff writes:
>  >
>  >>Passive won't work either if the server is behind NAT as well.
>  >
>  > But a NAT/PAT (port address translation) combination will. Here's how we
> do
>  > it using our simple Cisco 678 router
>
>  Bzzzttt.  Cisco NAT is application-aware of FTP.
>
>  > Network Address Translation is predominantly application-independent,
>  > with the exception of FTP. However, the Cisco implementation of NAT
>  > fully supports full-rate FTP. Applications that include IP addresses
>  > within the packet payload will fail without special NAT-wise
>  > consideration.
>
>  --- http://tinyurl.com/cqf2q (Cisco Broadband Operating System User Guide)

Bzzzttt to you too.

I didn't realize that FTP was that special, but it never hurts to be lucky
either. I simply bought the little Cisco 678 router at Office Max, programmed it
to my liking, and it worked first time out of the box, thus I never suspected
that there was anything special about NATting FTP.

Nonetheless, the moral remains. Anyone can go to Office Max and for a couple
of hundred dollars repeat the process quite easily.

Wirt Atmar