HP3000-L Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:54:15 -0400
Harry Morris wrote:
> Ok I am not sure if the FTP on the 3000 will support this since we do
> not use it but I have had this problem myself connecting to different
> servers. You can try using passive ftp. usually a setting in the
> client ftp program.

Passive won't work either if the server is behind NAT as well.

FTP is one of those protocols that requires an "application-aware" router/firewall/thing that provides NAT.  The killer is the exchange between client and server of the "PORT" command - the client (for active FTP) or server (for passive FTP) passes their IP address in the data portion of the PORT command.  Straightforward NAT will only translate the packet addressing, it knows nothing of the embedded address.
Similar issues exist with DNS, H.323, SIP, Skinny, etc.

Another issue that can catch you with NAT is whether or not your NAT is 1-to-1 between inside and outside addresses, or overloaded (port translated) into the outside address.  In the latter case, there may not be a return path back to your client available for active FTP to work; but passive will do just fine.

Jeff