HP3000-L Archives

October 2005, Week 2

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:20:58 -0400
You can run the remsh client on your 3000, and the remsvc from the Resource
Kit (see if it's available on the Microsoft web site) on your Windows
machine. That's an option, with a bit of work involved. I do not believe the
OpenSSH will get you there, but perhaps Ken can address that.

You mention a program that sits in the background and waits for a file, but
is taking up too much CPU. May I recommend the following in a batch file?
WAITLOOP
IF NOT EXIST thatfile.ext SLEEP n
IF NOT EXIST thatfile.ext GOTO WAITLOOP
Sleep is a Resource Kit utility. On a current server-class system, I've seen
its "hit" take one to two percent of the CPU, so it's prudent to wait a
reasonable number of seconds. Also, my personal recommendation is to send
the file under one name, possibly PAUSE for a few seconds to allow the ftp
buffers to finish writing to disk, and then rename your file to the expected
target name, so that it is not detected during transfer (funny how MPE and
OS/390 don't have this problem).

Greg Stigers