HP3000-L Archives

October 2005, Week 2

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:27:10 -0400
On 12 Oct 2005 at 22:36, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> This morning I went back to using my beloved Programmer Studio and now
> would certainly use nothing else for editing files on my HP3000......

Editors are like religions, once you get used to one it is hard to
see virtue in anything else and if you do happen to convert then the
attachment to the new becomes almost fanatical.  However, setting up
PS on two HP3000 systems (one of which is on permanent standby)
involves far more effort and expense than the benefit to be obtained
therefrom warrants. The PS client is further constrained in that it
is available only for MS-Windows and we use Linux work stations
extensively.

Despite deprecating comments from some of my colleagues I happen to
prefer vim on both Linux and Windows. As MPEiX's vi does not handle
MPE namespace files properly I am perforce required to use something
else on that platform.  (I intend to experiment with the myvi command
file skeleton kindly provided by Lars Appel at some point).  Still,
neither vi, quad, nor qedit will run in page/visual mode over
freevt3k, which is what I use to connect to the HP3000 after
establishing an ssh connection to a local linux box from outside our
firewall.  Thus sometimes I am constrained to employ a command line
editor anyway.

It really comes down to relative productivity. I use QEDIT on the
HP3000 because vi is so difficult to use in that environment
(particularly before 6.0 and especially in the MPE namespace) and we
had QEDIT from the days when we ran a Series 37.  I am used to QEDIT
and for my limited requirements it is entirely satisfactory. I miss
it on the DR box that I am curently configuring but that requirement
is transitory and nearly finished.

Our development is now all done on Linux boxes under subversion using
vim.  This setup runs well over ssh and provides all of the
functionality that we find necessary.

Regards,
Jim