UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Michelle Rigler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Rigler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:48:09 -0400

I hope everyone had a great Fall Break.

We have been working hard to plan the remainder of the activities for
Disability Awareness month. We have had a pretty good turnout for most
of the sessions, and the ones we haven't had the turnout we would like,
were still great sessions. Wednesday, October 26th we will have a
special treat of having one of our professors present. Dr. Jim Tucker,
McKee Chair of Excellence in Dyslexia ands Related Learning
Exceptionalities will be presenting about Invisible Disabilities. Many
people have been confused about the disabilities we can not see. This is
a great time to learn form an expert and ask those questions you really
would like answered.

We would appreciate you encouraging students to participate as well. We
would be happy to provide a test question or do a sign I sheet if you
would like. If we are to have a positive change in the culture of our
University in regards to people with disabilities, this is a great time
to start.

On Thursday, we will have another movie night in the FAC 356. We will be
showing Nell starting at 5:30 with a discussion following. Friday we
will host a Disability Fair on Vine Street near the UC from 11-2:00. We
will be giving away prizes at this event, so come participate and get
signed up for the drawing. Following the fair, we will have a student
panel discussion to talk openly about life on this campus for a person
with a disability. These students are open to answering questions, so
bring them respectfully.

Watch for the blue and yellow balloons around campus. If you get the
chance to pop one of them, you could be a winner.

Michelle Rigler

Office for Students with Disabilities

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

423-425-4006