UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fritz Efaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:59:16 -0400
This is a little bit puzzling.  I had written in an e'mail to Linda
Francisco that I thought that Pres Petersen was acting like a jerk (not
that he was a jerk) because he had acted to severely cut the pay of faculty
and because he had indicated a disregard for what faculty think of
him.  That e'mail was not included in e'messages sent by me or Bob Levy
earlier this week.  You and Bob must have received it as a forwarded
e'message from someone at UTK.  I don't believe I referred to you or anyone
as an incompetent fool in those e'messages.  Perhaps you can locate the
words.  I don't think I used the word "fool" anywhere, and the only use of
the word "competence" was in listing some of the disadvantages of merit
pay, where I said it increases monitoring costs and may be risky if middle
management (such as deans and department heads) are less than fully
competent.

I acknowledge the comment about acting like a jerk was personal; I wanted
to get Dr. Francisco's attention and evidently did  so.  I also thought the
1.5% salary increase and reference to it as a "cost-of-living increase" was
insulting.  I also thought the report in the Nashville Tennessean where he
said he "wants to give the best professors an incentive to stay at UT,
while the merely adequate faculty members  won't be going anywhere anyway"
was insulting and dismissive.  I took that as an offensive personal attack.

As I've said previously, I've been in a very foul mood lately and I don't
care to internalize the anger.  And as I've said in other recent e'mails,
numerous faculty who are afraid to speak out have contacted me on this and
related issues.  That's why so many of my  e'mails have been about
morale.  Only advice I can offer them is not to be in the same building
when I finally go postal.  I know much of what I have to say isn't
politically correct.  I was exactly the sort of person the term politically
incorrect was meant to describe--an iconoclast of left-wing shibboleths, if
that isn't a mixed metaphor--back when it had its original meaning 30 or 40
years ago.  I care as little what people think of that as Petersen says he
does of how faculty regard him.

The reference to personal attacks involving golf and coeds were, as I
pointed out, anonymous comments attributed to unnamed  sources by
administrators.  The personal behavior of Presidents Gilley and Shumaker
were dragged out and printed in Michael Cass's piece in the Tennessean.

Most of the e'messages you refer to are questions I was raising about
things Pres Petersen had said.  For example, he asked why seniority was
important; I listed six reasons why seniority pay benefits both employer
and employee.  He told me he had to ask his attorney about meeting with
UCW; I asked Bob to communicate further details.  I proposed alternatives
about the source of the merit pay pool.  These and other alternatives were
not discussed at yesterday's Senate meeting, and they appear not to be on
anyone's agenda.

The fact is that the pay adjustment for faculty this year was a zero-sum
game.  That's how Petersen can say on the one hand that faculty overall got
3% just like everyone else and on the other hand that he came up with merit
pay.  The result is to pit one group of faculty against the other.  I'm a
uniter, not a divider.  Petersen appears to represent the opposite.

Merely adequately yours,
Fritz.