UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Eric B. Wolf" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric B. Wolf
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:59:31 -0400
Dr. Darken is in the unique position of working in a field that has
already battled over the "technology requirement" issue for decades.

A core issue in mathematics education is "number sense". Just as Dr.
Darken mentions, students should just "know" that 1/8 is less than 1/3
coming into the university. By the time they leave, I hope they also
understand that x^2 is more than 2*x (that is, the rate of change for a
power is greater than a fixed factor). None of this really comes from
using a calculator or a laptop.

I dropped out of UTC in 1990. When I returned to UTC in 2002 as a math
major, I decided to retake Calc 151/152 to get my mind back into
mathematics. It was interesting to see how the use of technology had
changed. In 1990, Dr. Kuhn was exploring the use of the HP-28S in
calculus classes. It did graphing, symbolic algebra and definite
integrals. I happened to have an HP-28C because I found a display model
on clearance for $180! The idea of using calculators for calculus was
pretty high tech. Now, it's standard - as is the use of Maple. But the
Math department has done an excellent job of creating labs for calculus
that both require the use of Maple and require that you understand what
the computer is doing and why it's necessary. Additionally, you have to
be able to do similar work without the aid of the computer.

BTW, after Calc 152, the only other time I needed a calculator was for
Numerical Methods I - where again, the issues of mathematical problems
that can only be solved with calculators and computers were explored.
Ironically, in Numerical Methods II, we were dealing with more abstract
problems that couldn't be done with a calculator and generally required
custom programming (like how to manipulate matrices with millions of
columns and rows).

As you can see, I have always been a technophobe. I used to love my
HP-28C, especially since it was so advanced that most teachers didn't
understand what it could do! In my office, I currently have seven
computers. But I am also opposed to using technology inappropriately.
Technology can be an excellent learning tool. Technology can be an even
better research tool. But students, especially at the undergraduate
level, need an understanding the fundamentals behind what the technology
is doing.

As far as the issues of technology: students should be able to debate
the benefits of technology. They should be able to decide when
technology is good and when it's bad. As the generations come through
the university that have grown up with ubiquitous technology, the
greatest thing we can teach is how to best exist as human beings in a
world of rampant technology.

-Eric