UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2005

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Jason Griffey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Griffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:54:15 -0400
My goodness.

I do not believe that I insisted that computer skills be taught instead of Chaucer.

I'm nearly certain that I never suggested that we teach Microsoft Word (*shudder*). I would argue that teaching concepts is more important than teaching skills...I could care less if we teach them what buttons to push.

What I did suggest is that a laptop requirement would increase the skillset that the majority of our students leave this university with, and make them more likely to succeed post-graduation.

Let us not jump to conclusions. You won't find anyone who will argue more fervently that students need a basic liberal arts education to be successful world citizens. But I can hold that position, and still believe that it is in the best interest of our students to require laptops at this university.

Jason
Assistant Professor
Reference/Instruction Librarian