SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2005

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:38:34 -0400
While the news of Wilma and Alpha were raging in the air, we
had three days of bright sunshine in Choo Choo, even though
the weatherman had predicted rain everyday over the weekend!

We had two visitors from Fairbank, Alaska, and for the first
time Sue and I even knew that there is such a thing as a
Chattanooga Choo Choo -- which is both a running train (which
runs about 100 yards one-way) and a HOTEL (rooms made out of
the coach sections of an old train -- with plenty of occupants
paying $169 a night to stay there), and a huge restaurant which
is open ONLY to the Choo Choo hotel guests.

It was during this visit of theirs that we suddenly realized
that we had been in Choo Choo for 5 years (since the closing
of our house on Oct 21, 2000).  We've been AWAY from Choo
Choo seeing the world almost more days than we were IN Choo
Choo.

So, when our guests wanted to see the Chattanooga Choo Choo,
we had to do a quick web search to make sure that it existed,
and we rode the guided Chattanooga Choo Choo train for $1
(resident's rate), guests ($2 each), and we even got to see
what the rooms look like inside the Chattanooga Choo Choo
hotel (slightly worse than a motel-6 room, worth about
$15 a night.  :-)  But there sure were plenty of suckers
psying $169 a night for THAT joint).

To reciprocate their Choo Choo visit, we have been invited
to visit them during the coldest part of Alaskan winter and
see the hotel just outside of Fairbanks that is constructed
entirely out of ICE (no wood, no bricks, but a FUNCTIONAL
hotel that is made from ICE entirely).  I can't wait to see
what that hotel is like.  I suspect there will be no hot-water
showers.  :-)

Choo Choo Feeesh.