HP3000-L Archives

September 2005, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:53:23 EDT
Shawn writes:

> http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article312997.ece
>
>  the crux of it is that we are supposedly past the point of no return, so I
>  guess that means we don't need to worry about it anymore.  What I find
>  interesting is that they are extrapolating from a real finite set of
>  data.  How long have we been able to keep accurate measurements of the
>  polar ice caps? 30 or 40 years?  So how do you conclude a position that
has
>  such a minute amount of data to compare against?

Ah, a man of questions.

To hear of a man of answers, you must now listen to Steven Schneider's talk
in QCShow format at:

     http://aics-research.com/lectures/public-lectures.html

Schneider is at Stanford, and his job is to predict the future as accurately
as he can in regards to climate change, world affluence and technology: good,
bad or indifferent. He used to be a director at the National Center for
Atmospheric Research in Boulder, CO (which you'll hear him pronounce as "NCAR"
during his talk) before he moved to Stanford.

The other abbreviation he'll use is IPCC, the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change

Wirt Atmar