HP3000-L Archives

September 2005, Week 1

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:16:57 -0400
On 1 Sep 2005 at 17:03, Matthew Perdue wrote:

> Don't forget the human equation that someone still needs to check those
> backup jobs and scripts for proper execution.

Yes, that is the main issue we are tring to deal with.  The inter-
machine transfers generate email confirmations from the Linux boxes
but we do not have that capability directly on the HP3000.  The gzip
routine on the incoming file needs suffice (if the incoming file is
not there then the gzip script generates an error that is emailed to
me and to the support address.)

The backup job on the HP3000 automatically runs a VSTORE on  the std
version.  I did not do this for the tape version because we use
general office staff to change tapes and I did not want to run the
risk of VSTORE issues confusing tape record keeping, which is already
precarious enough.  We run VSTORE against our weekend backup tapes
during the day on Mondays and irregularly against the nightly backups
done during the week.  We do not do differential backups per se, the
daily backups comprise all user data files and bases while the
weekend backups comprise the entire system.

>  Please don't leave the community any time soon, okay?

Well, as they say, my days here are numbered even if my departure is
not imminent.  This flurry of activity on the HP3000 is really the
precursor to my getting seriously involved with rewriting our systems
to run on Linux and once that passes a certain point I doubt that I
will have much more to add here.  I celebrated my tenth anniversary
as a member of this list this past June 14th. and I must say that I
was surprised at how swiftly the years have passed.

There have been times in the past few years when I have felt like a
fraud participating in discussions about HPq and the HP3000 because
my involvement with that platform was so limited, not because I so
chose but because our HP-UX and Linux systems demanded my constant
attention while the HP3000 happily purred along without apparently
needing me at all.  Now we are intent on moving to our next platform
and I find it somewhat poignant that I am refining our maintenance
procedures so that I can afford to spend even less time on the HP3000
than the minimum amount I spent formally.

I pray that there exists a hell for those who did this to the HP3000
and that it is cold, damp, and eternally windy.  I want to imagine
them with their unclad flesh whitened and blue tinged, the folds of
their empty bellies sagging in the breeze, and their heavy lidded
eyes flooded with despair.  May their seed fail in its promise, now
and forever.

Sincerely,

--

***     e-mail is NOT a secure channel     ***
James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB.<token>@Harte-Lyne.ca