HP3000-L Archives

September 2005, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:30:02 +0200
John MacLerran wrote:
> We're using the online=start option, which instructs TurboStore to do
> its synchronization step at the start, so we have to get users and jobs
> off for a period of about 20 minutes (the backup process doesn't
> actually need that long, normally only 4-5 minutes to synch up, but it
> takes our operator about that long to do the orderly logoff process that
> precedes the backp).

With ;ONLINE=START you should actually be able to "get away" without
having the users to log off, as ;ONLINE=START or ;ONLINE=END are the
"true online" options added a few years ago.

Before that, you only had ;ONLINE and that actually required the
files to be "free" until the store process had gained control and
reached the "sync point" at the beginning of the backup. With that
option, you had to log off the jobs and/or sessions for a while.

Lars.