HP3000-L Archives

August 2005, Week 5

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:42:27 -0500
Terry, IIRC you need a patch to support the drive.  If you are on PP2, you
probably have it already.  However...  TurboStore simply cannot make the
drive perform, especially on the RESTORE part.  The last time I did some
tests on that, the product with which I was associated was able to get about
25MB/second on an uncrippled N-class box, with restores being less than
that.  I believe, but do not know for sure, that Orbit was also getting
comparable performance.

So bottom line, and all things being equal to what was 2+ years ago (and
it's not like there has been a great deal of development for MPE recently,)
if you have an uncrippled N-class and can get another product besides
TURBOSTORE, then yes, perhaps you might want to look into LTO.  If you
cannot satisfy both conditions, you will benefit from the increased storage
capacity of the LTO tape, however I believe performance will be, shall we
say, disappointing at best.

Denys