HP3000-L Archives

August 2005, Week 5

From:
"Dave Powell, MMfab" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Powell, MMfab
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:25:27 -0700
I posted something quite a while ago that might work for sites with no special
legal requirements for security.  The general idea was:

1  Purge your own stuff and assorted system logs, take your passwords off sys
& other hp accounts, etc.
2  Build a big file (big enough so it won't take too many zillions of copies
to fill your disk)
3  Fcopy or echo something semi-random into it over & over until it fills up
(some big hp program like nmmgr.pub.sys might work)
4  Run a while-loop to make copies until it dies from lack of space.  (This
isn't tested, but I had a working version once):
  setvar i  0
  while setvar (i, i + 1) > -1
     copy xx  xx!i
  endwhile
5  Repeat steps 2 thru 4 with a much smaller file to fill in gaps left by disk
fragmentation (I used two files only because I thought starting with a small
one would take longer or might exceed some limit on number of files in a group
or the max length of a file name or some such).
6  Mass purge
7  If you feel really paranoid, repeat steps 2 thru 6, with files of different
sizes & contents until you feel sure everything has been buried under enough
layers of garbage to be un-recoverable.  Ideally every bit on your disk would
have both binary 1 & 0 written to it a few times each.

Dave ("I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?") Powell