HP3000-L Archives

August 2005, Week 2

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:39:53 -0700
I wouldn't worry about this even happening too much.  First of all it won't
take place till 2007 *if* it takes place at all, and secondly, there is
going to be such an outrage about it, there is no way it will go in to
effect.  They tried year round daylight savings in the seventies and
accidents for kids went way up because they were going to school in the
dark.  The idiocy about daylight savings time is that it is in effect when
the sun already stays up longer, and seriously, why can't people just do
things earlier instead of forcing it on people?  I personally HATE daylight
savings time, it's government regulation of when we start our day.

Even though the guy who introduced this is a republican, his justification
is totally moronic, I saw an interview with him and his entire reasoning
was "wouldn't you like it to be sunny out when you go home from
work?"  good lord.

At 07:53 AM 8/12/2005, Bruce Collins wrote:
>Keven Miller wrote:
>

>>Just another side note, looking at my TZTAB.LIB.SYS file,
>>to be complete you would need to make entry changes for
>>these timezones
>>
>>PST8PDT
>>MST7MDT
>>CST6CDT
>>EST5EDT
>>
>>and possibly   EST5CDT, EST6CDT (any others?).
>>Then again, is this only the US, or does Canada and Mexico
>>change as well?
>=========
>
>That's exactly my problem. Suppose we have users logging on to our HP (in
>Montreal) from Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Dallas. We can control the
>time in our applications by setting the TZ variable appropriately in a log
>on UDC, but if the US changes the rules and Canada doesn't, then we are
>going to have a few weeks where Winnipeg & Dallas will be in the same time
>zone (CST) but will have different times.
>
>One possible work around would be to create a bogus time zone in the TZTAB
>for our Dallas users (say GWBTIME) with the new rules.
>
>Thanks for all the help in deciphering what the changes to the TZTAB entries
>mean and how they should be adjusted, but I think that the values listed in
>the year-range columns are incorrect.

>>>   0 3 8-14  3  2007-2038 0   EDT4
>>>   0 1 1-7   11 2007-2038 0   EST5
>
>Wouldn't this setup continue to use the current rules until March of 2007
>and November 2007. Shouldn't it be:

>>>   0 3 8-14  3  2006-2038 0   EDT4
>>>   0 1 1-7   11 2005-2038 0   EST5

Regards,