HP3000-L Archives

August 2005, Week 2

From:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:53:29 -0400
Keven Miller wrote:

> Just another side note, looking at my TZTAB.LIB.SYS file,
> to be complete you would need to make entry changes for
> these timezones
>
> PST8PDT
> MST7MDT
> CST6CDT
> EST5EDT
>
> and possibly   EST5CDT, EST6CDT (any others?).
> Then again, is this only the US, or does Canada and Mexico
> change as well?
=========

That's exactly my problem. Suppose we have users logging on to our HP (in
Montreal) from Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Dallas. We can control the
time in our applications by setting the TZ variable appropriately in a log
on UDC, but if the US changes the rules and Canada doesn't, then we are
going to have a few weeks where Winnipeg & Dallas will be in the same time
zone (CST) but will have different times.

One possible work around would be to create a bogus time zone in the TZTAB
for our Dallas users (say GWBTIME) with the new rules.

Thanks for all the help in deciphering what the changes to the TZTAB entries
mean and how they should be adjusted, but I think that the values listed in
the year-range columns are incorrect.

>>> EST5EDT
>>> 0 3 1-7   4  1987-2006 0   EDT4
>>   0 3 8-14  3  2007-2038 0   EDT4
>>> 0 1 25-31 10 1975-2006 0   EST5
>>   0 1 1-7   11 2007-2038 0   EST5

Wouldn't this setup continue to use the current rules until March of 2007
and November 2007. Shouldn't it be:

>>> EST5EDT