HP3000-L Archives

August 2005, Week 1

From:
"Bundy, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bundy, Mike
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:49:15 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Bundy, Mike
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:45 AM
To: 'Shahan, Ray'
Subject: RE: [HP3000-L] HP3000 TO HP9000 Migration

Ray,

here is what we have encountered so far. Again we are just getting started.

 1.  Accept statement in AcuCobol does not terminate when the receiving
field is filled.
        On the HP3000 when you accept input into a field, once that field is
filled there
        is an automatic termination of the accept.  When we compile on the
HP9000
        using AcuCobol (with HP Compatibility and Ansii Compatibility for
Display & Accept
        options enabled), the data input will not terminate until the user
presses Enter.
        Once that is done, the value returned in the accepted field will
only be the length
        of that field.    According to AcuCorp, the only way to have an auto
terminate on an
        Accept is to use the following:  ACCEPT <FIELD> FROM CRT    however
CRT
        is not a valid option when using the HP Compatibility option.  Any
attempt to
        compile the program not using that option will result in a clean
compile but will
        subsequently abort with a Memory Access Violation when running the
program
        in the nlsh shell from Speedware.

  2.  READX intrinsic is not functioning in the nlsh shell the same way as
it does on the
        HP3000.  On the HP3000, when calling readx, if you pass the number
of characters
        expected as one of the parameters, the intrinsic will accept that
number of characters
        then auto terminate.  When calling this intrinsic using the NLREADX
intrinsic from
        Speedware, the requested number of characters will be all that is
returned, however,
        the user can input any number of characters until a carriage return
is entered to stop
        the input process.

Both of the above issues create problems if you're in an environment where
people responsible
for data entry are accustom to having the program auto return thru fields as
they are being
entered.

  3.  The DELETE record function returns status 23 (record not found) when
attempting to
        delete a record from a KSAMXL file when the program is running in
the nlsh shell
        from Speedware.  The test program works perfectly when run on the
HP3000, but
        when migrated and compiled on the HP9000, the Add function will
correctly add
        a record into the file.  The Inquiry (readbykey) will correctly
retrieve a record.
        When attempting to delete a record, the record is found (readbykey)
and displayed
        to validate that the correct record is there, then the following
instruction is to delete
        that record and we're getting the status 23 and no delete is done.

I hope this is not the beginning of a long difficult trail.

Mike.