HP3000-L Archives

August 2005, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:15:18 -0500
At 09:51 AM 7/25/2005 -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
>I was there last in the late 80s.  One of the most impressive things there
>(to me anyway) was 1/2 of a Saturn V "J2" engine.  It was sliced in half
>vertically and laid out horizontally.  It is *huge*.  And to think, five
>of these bad boys made up the first stage.

I believe the only complete remaining Saturn V rocket is on the grounds of
NASA in
Houston, in what was called Rocket Pack.  Used to be you could simply drive
in and
see it and the other rockets.  Now you have to pay to go through a museum
and then
pay extra to ride a trolly over to them.   Last I knew they were working on
a building
to protect it, as it's been deteriating due to exposure to the elements.

Here's an older picture:

http://www.easyweb.co.uk/Members/martin/photos/texas/DSC02458.html